F News From a Garden Muse | Interview with Lillian Brummet - A.A. Fouch

News From a Garden Muse | Interview with Lillian Brummet



Meeting fellow creatives is one of the highlights of being an artist. When I came across Lillian Brummet’s work, I was inspired by her lively writing style and her desire to help others find wellness through nature, music, and healthy eating (three of my favorite things!). I was thrilled to connect with Lillian and ask her a few questions, which I hope you enjoy.


A Little About Lillian 

By Lillian Brummet 

Lillian and her husband Dave are the team behind Brummet Media Group, high-fiving cheerfully as they pass each other on the way from checking off one item or other from their long to-do list. After moving to their dream location (in the Kootenay Region of BC, Canada), they have been methodically converting the abused lot over to the little park it has become – and in doing so have gained certification with bee, pollinator and wildlife organizations. Their home, too, has become energy efficient via the many upgrades they have done. Their business includes Dave’s music studio and percussion accessory products and graphic design work as well as numerous award-winning non-fiction books and popular blogs. Today we help them celebrate their latest book release - From One Small Garden, with over 300 delicious, nutritious recipes!


Interview:

I saw that you dabble in many different arts, including writing - What drew you towards writing & art?


Song lyrics helped ease emotions as I matured and that led me toward using poetry as a healing tool. Once that poetry gained recognition, won awards, got published - that encouragement led to more writing. Writing came up several times upon taking a few career assessment tests, however, I didn't think I had enough to offer, that I was good enough, or that I even could do such a thing since I have some dyslexia issues. I wanted to not just write, but to write in such a way that it inspired positive change and as it turned out, people enjoyed the topics I focused on.  

I dabbled in crafts, needlework and cake decoration arts when I was in my 20's, did some sketching here and there since then... a little minor painting and some carvings (which I am anxious to try again). I consider gardening an art as well, painting with plants - creating beautiful landscapes on every square inch of our property. Lol. Another art I have embraced is cooking - using the amazing garden harvests and locally produced food items in this lush valley. I find these artistic endeavours are a way for me to give back to the people around me, to create a little more green space for the environment, a little shade for the pedestrians and a haven for birds, bees, butterflies etc. 

While I am busily playing in the dirt, or doing crafts, I am always working in my head. My lists are ticked, the days are organized, I remember communications I haven't done yet or come up with good responses to interview questions or find the plotline I wish to follow for a short story I'm working on. Before cell phones I could be spotted dashing inside, covered in dirt, looking desperately for a pen before the idea, or poem, faded.

 

How do you find inspiration or topics for your genre of writing/art?


The inspiration comes from seeing a real need and knowing a solution that I can put across in a motivating way, empowering people to create the change they want to see in the world. My first book filled a gap I saw between counselors and victims of violence, abuse, or neglect. As a child, I felt the professionals were book-taught but had no real compassion or empathy, or understanding. 

I felt that by sharing my story through chronological poetry prose there would be the opportunity for victims to feel heard, to have their feelings expressed in a way they could not do for themselves. I wanted to show the path to growing past the pain, towards an understanding of the value of their lives. I hoped, too, that people working in that field would gain some more empathy and understanding.  

In the 2nd and 3rd books (a series actually) I found a real need for individuals to see waste as a valuable resource, and to realize the value of small daily acts - how this can change the world, improve the environment and ease the burdens on community organizations, simply by seeing waste differently. The 4th project was a collection of both my and Dave's poetry celebrating nature, lamenting negative obstacles, expressing raw grief, and celebrating love. The fifth project is the most recent release - a collection of over 300 delicious, nutritious recipes that embrace garden harvests and reduce waste.

The 6th is actually a revision of a previously published book: for the Purple Snowflake Marketing - How To Make Your Book Stand Out In A Crowd (2012). We have just now completed this project and will have the revisions uploaded to Amazon in late May (2021). This book was based on our own business and marketing plan that grew and evolved over the 2.5 decades we have been in the writing and media industries. I use it as my personal step-by-step guide for every book or product we release and using the Purple Snowflake Marketing methods, we were able to attain over 40 media appearances between Feb 18 & May 18th 2021. Purple Snowflake Marketing was originally published back in 2012 in an effort to address the many pitfalls and answer the millions of questions that authors must face. 

 

What was your first or favourite childhood memory? 

My first positive memory... uh... lol ... I had to really think because the younger days weren't super great. I do recall spending time in the forests bordering a farm we once lived on. I found great solace in the forests, it gave me a haven from the mess at home. I fell out of a tree once, knocking the wind out of myself and that really frightened me. 

I was coming out of the forest but didn't want the parent figures to know I was upset or what happened because that definitely wouldn't have positive results.  

So I was getting my crying out fast and as I was passing the field, my friend Sadie the cow came running over the best she could, bawling at me and pressing her face through the fence she caressed me and comforted me. I'll never forget it. My mom was a master gardener and we bonded over that shared love for gardening, sharing laughs and giggles while tending to the gardens - memories I'll always treasure.

 

What is a small joy you celebrate often?


I celebrate every positive thing that comes along, no matter how small it may seem. New blossoms, joyful dogs, purring kitty blinking in the sun on the deck, watching bees busily being busy, garden harvests, a glass of wine made from our home-grown berries and grapes... sales and discounts that save us money, getting media coverage and having a clean house. As a super-sensitive person, I tend to avoid negativity. Negative people, TV programs or movies, negative books and most news media.


What has been an inspiring piece of art or media you’ve enjoyed lately? 

My husband's co-worker has a collection of concerts and live performances that he lent Dave - we've been making our way through this great stack of DVD's and loving it... or being disappointed too. Some of the performances were a little wanting and I think that changes how I view some of the bands now. Some of the performances we say were recorded when the artists were a heck of a lot older than when their hits came out and it can be enlightening to see them now. The talent in this collection is incredible.

 

What do you feel like you are currently learning in your phase of life? 

Technology. I often feel overwhelmed by the analytics, SEO, HTML and e-commerce aspects of running a business online. Starting a couple of years ago, I took several small courses, a few self-guided courses, and watched tons of helpful videos... and still feel overwhelmed! Lol This area is just not my forté. So that is where I am at now in the learning curve, I guess. The tough part for me is that once I am very comfortable with something, it changes.  

Technology and e-commerce is changing rapidly and it is daunting sometimes because I don't always feel up to the challenge. Dave is much better at this part of the business, but he is often overworked and can feel overwhelmed at times too with all the new things going on every day. We cannot afford to hire out services in this arena and so, like most authors, we are just doing the best we can.

 

What is a fun or interesting professional experience you’ve appreciated?

Our cookbook (From One Small Garden - Over 300 Delicious Nutritious Recipes) was released in February and by May we were mentioned, interviewed or featured in 38 different media. The Creston Food Action Coalition decided to use our cookbook for their fundraising efforts, selling copies at the Creston Farmer’s Market. These recent successes validated our dreams to reach our goals and all the effort this involved.

What is your go-to comfort food, TV show, and book? 

This last winter I binge-watched every Star Trek-related TV show. It was a lot of fun and I saw more in the series, re: both the writing and space exploration aspects than I had noticed before. My favourite food is fresh-baked bread. 2nd choice is cheese. I really enjoy melons, berries, Greek yogurt, coffee with lots of cream (no sugar), honey and butter on fresh bread, and roasted hazelnuts (from our tree). Tolkien's books are what I would consider comfort books... I've worn out several copies since I discovered them when I was very young.


What do you feel is the most significant achievement you’ve made thus far?


Dave and I met in Kelowna, BC (Canada) some 31 years ago. He saw me in one of the circles of friends we all had back then, asked around about me, watched for a while and then took the plunge. He let me know without question that he was interested and he turned out to be kind and gentle, thoughtful and protective. 

I fell deeply for him, which terrified me, and it took him 6-7 months of patient dialogue before I agreed to meet his family, nearly 3 years before we moved in together and then another 7 years before I agreed to be his wife, officially.   

For me, the greatest challenge was communication, feeling secure enough to communicate and also actually communicating. I'm not so great about that, but I continue to learn. My mom was married 5 times (one of those she tried to hide from us and so I don't count it much) and seeing everyone around me on TV, in the neighbourhood, among friends, other family - this all told me that relationships don't work. That's what I was shown.

Well, 31 years later - I'm deeply in love, always grateful for, and enamoured by our relationship. Of course there are days and moments that can be stressful, emotions rise, or tempers simmer, but these crushing moments always pass and we are always aware that this relationship is precious, so we treat it as such. I have a couple of wonderful women friends (one of whom is a neighbour by chance) and they have helped me laugh at minor frustrations and see things in a kinder way. I think the ability to just share it with a friend can be enough to help a person walk through the uncomfortable moment they are in. If that friend can help you laugh at the situation, see the comedy, and you can feel the empathy emanating from them... well it is so much better. :)

 

If you could give the younger generation one piece of advice, what would that be?

Be patient with the process. Start how you mean to continue. You'll be fine. Feel the fear and do it anyway. Embrace who you are; you are worthy of love.



When did something unexpected but good happen to you?

We had several unexpected good things happen this year. Our business licence fee was waived as a reward for signing a COVID promise and supplying our clients with a sterile environment, the masks, hand cleanser, etc. The local pet store noticed we were due a huge bag of dog food - via the manufacturer's promotional deal. We discovered we had a huge number of shopper points that we used in March and April to purchase almost free or very reduced-priced items. 

One of Dave's drum students dropped off 2 different kinds of plum branches (large red and large peach colour) for us to try grafting onto our peach tree. If they take, we'll have 6 different tree fruits from 2 different trees. Especially in these dark, depressing and overwhelming times when money is scarce, secure jobs are not available and debts climbing... one has to celebrate every positive moment they can!

 

Many thanks to Lillian for this wonderful interview! 

Make sure to stop by her website and say hello :) 

 

Visit Lillian & Dave

Amazon Author Page: https://amazon.com/author/lillianbrummet

Brummet's Website: http://BrummetMedia.ca

FaceBook: http://facebook.com/lillian.brummet

https://consciousdiscussions.blogspot.com/. 

all images via canva



CONVERSATION

2 Comments:

  1. Thank you so much for putting together this wonderful interview experience, Ashley !

    ReplyDelete