F Pause for Poetry | Interview With Christine Stewart - A.A. Fouch

Pause for Poetry | Interview With Christine Stewart


Poetry is often overlooked in the modern world, not perhaps because we do not have time, but because poetry defies the rush and busyness that has become a staple of society. We don't linger and we don't repeat, we simply move on to the next thing. 

But poetry demands that, for a few moments, we sit still. For that reason, I am always keeping my eye out for poets who are currently carving memories out of moments. 


A Little About Christine 

By Christine Stewart (from amazon.com)


Christine Stewart-Nuñez, South Dakota's poet laureate (2019 2023), is the author of four books of poetry, most recently Untrussed (University of New Mexico Press, 2016) and Bluewords Greening (Terrapin Books, 2016), winner of the 2018 Whirling Prize. 

In 2019, the South Dakota Council of Teachers of English named her Author of the Year. As a professor at South Dakota State University, Christine's teaching, creative work, and service have earned accolades, including the Dr. April Brooks Woman of Distinction Award (2020) and the Outstanding Experiential Learning Educator Award (2019). She served on the board of directors for the South Dakota State Poetry Society from 2012-2018 and edited its poetry magazine, Pasque Petals, from 2014-2018. 

She's the founder of the Women Poets Collective, a regional group focused on advancing their writing through peer critique and support. She lives in Brookings with her husband, Brian T. Rex, a professor of architecture, and her two sons.



Interview

What drew you towards writing/art? 

My older sister died when I was 11 years old. She was 20. It was sudden and left a crater in my life. I wrote to process that grief and other aspects of my life. (My book of poetry, KEEPING THEM ALIVE, grapples with this subject, too.) After a while, it became a practice others expected me to do, and I began to expect it from myself. But that took years. 

How do you find inspiration or topics for your genre of writing/art? 

I’m drawn to certain overarching themes, like epistemology (what do we know, how do we know, and when do we know) and loss, but I wrestle with them through art, nature, and family relationships. In other words, sensory details from my daily life help me express more philosophical thoughts.  

What was your first or favorite childhood memory? 

Wow. That’s a tough one. I have a lot of impressions of my grandparents’ homes--scents, sounds, etc. Most of my fuller memories start in kindergarten, which seems late. 

What is a small joy you celebrate often? 

My sons’ learning new things. My older son has a rare form of epilepsy that tamped down his learning for nearly a decade. For years he was unable to fully use or understand language. (I tackle this strand of my life in my book Bluewords Greening.) Now that the seizures have waned, he’s learning how to have conversations, how to read, how to take better care of himself, how to cook, how to tell jokes, etc. My younger son, nine years younger than his brother, simply soaks information in, which astonishes me. What brings me the greatest joy is how they love and help each other. 

What has been an inspiring piece of art or media you’ve enjoyed lately? 

I recently bought a piece of art from Susan M. Heggestad, a mixed media artist from Vermillion, South Dakota. I love the way she uses textiles for texture in her work. I regularly practice ekphrasis, and I have an ongoing collaboration with British artist Pauline Aitken. I have ekphrastic poetry in Bluewords Greening as well as its “twin” book, Untrussed. 

What is a fun or interesting experience you’ve appreciated? (either personally or professionally) 

During the pandemic, I started giving a lot of Zoom workshops and readings. Of course, I prefer face-to-face interactions, but I was shocked about how many more folks could participate online. I live in a rural state, and I know how a newfound appreciation for the way technology can help us connect with each other. 

What is your go-to comfort food, TV show, and book?

I really like homemade pizza. I don’t watch a lot of TV, and I don’t often read the same book more than once unless it’s work or writing-related.

What do you feel is the most significant achievement you’ve made thus far? (Personally or professionally) 

Professionally, I’m very proud of my education (I hold a Ph.D.) and my published work because I didn’t know anyone who had gone to graduate school or published books when I was growing up. My parents are responsible for pushing me toward college; they hoped I could have more choices than they did since they didn’t have college degrees. I’m proud of my tenacity in terms of keeping up my writing practice and sending work out into the world. I know a lot of good writers who have negotiated this path differently.  Personally, I’m proud of my family. Parenting is super hard work--the hardest work I’ve experienced. And my kids and marriage are thriving right now, so…. So far, so good.

If you could give the younger generation one piece of advice, what would that be?

Own your strengths and yet stay humble. It took me years before I really began to believe in myself and have a strong, confident sense of self. Of course, that doesn’t mean one should be ruled by ego, just that it’s okay to let yourself shine.

When did something unexpected but good happen to you? 

Wow. I have so many answers to this. I try to stay open to serendipity; it’s an important part of living a creative life. In the summer of 1996, soon after I graduated with my undergraduate degree, I got an invitation to interview for a job teaching in Turkey. Despite my plans already in place for graduate school, I said yes to the interview, got the job, and six weeks later I was on a plane to Istanbul.

What was the last song you listened to? 

Michael Jackson’s Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground). It was the last one on my family’s bike ride playlist yesterday. 


To purchase a copy of Christine's latest book of poems, The Poet & the Architect, visit her lovely site at

https://www.christinestewartnunez.com/#/the-poet-the-architect/



Thank you so much to Christine for taking the time to answer my questions!

Until next time, cheers! 

Ashley 


If you or another artist you know would like to be interviewed, drop me a note at aafouchwrites@gmail.com

CONVERSATION

0 Comments:

Post a Comment